Every Australian Apprentice must be signed up into a formal Training Contract shortly after they are employed. This ensures that all parties are aware of their responsibilities and understand what it means to commence an Australian Apprenticeship.

Once signed up, the employer can then pay apprentice or trainee wages, and the Australian Apprentice can be enrolled into the appropriate course with a training provider. 

To organise a sign up, the employer will need to contact an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider, also known as an Apprenticeship Network Provider. These are free services funded by the Australian Government to help out with Australian Apprenticeships.

The AASN provider will give the apprentice or trainee and employer some information about how to make sure the Australian Apprenticeship works for everyone. They will also help with applications for incentives or allowances. During the apprenticeship or traineeship, the AASN provider is your first point of contact for any support needed.

Things to remember...

  • If you are under the age of 18 you will need to have a parent or guardian sign the training contract.
  • Make sure you let the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider know of any previous qualifications you have completed.
  • Keep a copy of your Training Contract in a safe place.
  • Make sure you get the contact details of the AASN provider as this will come in handy if you have any questions during your Australian Apprenticeship.  It's a good idea to take a photo of your copy and back up the file to a safe place.
Search for an AASN provider

Search for an AASN provider

Organise for an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider to come out to your workplace to conduct the sign up.

If your employer has used an AASN provider in the past they may prefer to get back in contact with that provider.


Enrolling in the course

There are a lot of misconceptions around when you should contact a Registered Training Organisation (e.g. TAFE or private training provider) to enrol in to the course component of an apprenticeship or traineeship.

An apprentice or trainee needs to be signed up by an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider before enrolling with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). 

You can ask your AASN provider which RTOs can deliver the course that you need, or you can search for RTOs on the Australian Government's My Skills website and make a few calls.

It is common for an apprentice or trainee to start their course component after they have finished the probationary period with the employer.

Visit the Your Career website to search for Registered Training Organisations


I've started my apprenticeship or traineeship, now what?

After commencing your apprenticeship or traineeship it's important to be aware of your obligations and those of your employer. Have look at the Post Recruitment page for further information.

If you need support during your apprenticeship or traineeship, you should first contact the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider who signed you up. If you are working with a Group Training Organisation they will also provide support throughout the Australian Apprenticeship.