The Western Victorian Careers Expo, hosted by the Wimmera and Southern Mallee Careers Association (WASM), is country Victoria’s largest careers expo. Since its inception in 1986, this premier regional event has provided a one-stop-shop of vocational information to Western Victorian students, school leavers, job seekers, career changers, those returning to work and people considering further study or training.
The Western Victorian Careers Expo is organised by a sub-committee of the Wimmera and Southern Mallee Careers Association. The organising committee includes members of the Association, as well as representatives from; Wimmera Southern Mallee Local Learning and Employment Network (WSM LLEN), Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD), Federation University, Workco, Wimmera Events Centre (WEC), Wimmera Development Association (WDA) and the Tertiary Information Service (TIS).
The 2018 Western Victorian Careers Expo will be on Tuesday, June 26th.
The Expo is held at the Wimmera Events Centre at Longerenong, approx. 10 minutes drive north-east from Horsham (Please find map above). This one day event begins at 9.30am and finishes at 2.00pm.
The Expo offers a broad range of career and course information as well as interactive opportunities including our ‘Try A Trade’ section.
The Wimmera Events Centre (WEC) at Longerenong offers a high standard of facilities for both presenters and participants alike, and allows exhibitors sufficient space to present their information in engaging and innovative ways.
Find more information about the WEC on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wimmeraeventscentre/
Attendees have the opportunity to talk to a wide range of career, industry and course advisors on a one-to-one basis. Our exhibitors and presenters consist of local, regional, metropolitan and interstate representatives, including more than 20 Victorian and South Australian universities that will be present. Over 2000 students, parents, jobseekers and careers changers from across the Wimmera Mallee attend annually.
The Expo format has many elements, including:
- Career and Course Exhibitor displays
- Manufacturer and Trade interactive activities – ‘Try a Trade’
- Comprehensive Seminar program, including Apprenticeship/Traineeship Information Sessions
- Tertiary Information Session and Exhibits – T.I.S.
AIMS OF THE EXPO:
- To provide regional students and jobseekers with a broad range of vocational and course information, as well as career pathways advice in a ‘one-stop shop’ event in their local area
- To make available a broad spectrum of careers/jobs role models, especially for those in isolated and remote communities of Western Victoria
- To offer current advice regarding qualifications, training and prerequisites, business prospects and vocational opportunities to students, careers-changers, jobseekers & parents
- To encourage students to consider broader pathway options
- To encourage school retention to Year 12 or equivalent
- To assist parents of students with understanding career and course pathways
- To have a co-ordinated careers event in Western Victoria and bring presenters together under a Wimmera-Southern Mallee Careers ‘banner’